Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Korean Inspired Salmon and Spicy mashed squash



This recipe is super easy and really delicious. I will warn you, it's very spicy so if you're not into spicy, this recipe may be a bit of a departure for you. I implore you to at least give it a whirl, as you can tailor the spice level to your liking.


Salmon is so good for us but it tends to be made a handful of ways and that can get extremely boring.
Since I gave up meat for Lent I've really been experimenting with seafood this season and this recipe is one that I really loved.

What you'll need:

For the fish:
1 pound fresh wild caught salmon
2-4 Tbsp of Gochujang (korean chili paste)
1/2 tbsp lemon juice (approx)
1/2 tsp olive oil (approx)
Sea salt
2-4 Tbsp water



For the squash:
2 packages of frozen, cooked squash - I use kroger or cascadian farms organic when I can find it
Sriracha sauce
pepper/sea salt
tumeric
crushed red pepper



Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Put a little olive oil in a Pyrex dish and cover the bottom of the dish to avoid your salmon sticking to the pan. I usually cut my salmon in half for space and to allow for thorough cooking. Place the salmon in the dish, drizzle a little olive oil on top and then a dash of sea salt. In a small dish combine the gochujang, a little lemon juice and olive oil. You want to start off slow as you mix the gochujang into the liquid. Gochujang is very thick and what we want is a thinner version of this spice that we can pour over our salmon so that it can simmer in the sauce while baking. Get this to the consistency that you like and then pour it over the salmon. I add a little water to the dish - a few tablespoons just so that my sauce doesn't cook down too much and become syrupy.

Cook the salmon for 20 minutes.

While that's in the oven, remove your frozen squash from the package and place both in a large sauce pan on low - medium heat for 15 minutes. Keep an eye on this as you don't want to scorch it.
Once its cooked, start adding your spice - I'm pretty liberal with the sriracha as I really like it hot. Add in tumeric, crushed red pepper and fresh pepper to your taste.

Once the salmon is done - it should flake easily with a fork - plate along w/your sriracha squash and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment