Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Paleo Shepherd's Pie - Ginger's Favorite Comfort Foods made Paleo!

One of my favorite dishes that my mom made for us when we were growing up, was her amazing shepherd's pie. Nothing tastes as good as her recipe. But since my mother lives 3000 miles away, I'm not getting it anytime soon. This prompted me to go on journey to make my own. I wanted to make a paleo version that would be yummy, healthy, and easy. This is what I've come up with and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It's not like mom used to make but it's damn good!

You will need:
1.5-2 lbs of grass fed beef
1/2 cup of organic coconut milk
1 package of frozen spinach
1 package of frozen mixed veggies - carrots, squash, asparagus, etc
mashed sweet potatoes - you can buy these frozen or make your own
Your favorite spices  - Sea salt, cayenne, pepper, 21 season salute, etc

Preheat your oven to 350

Brown the ground beef in a pan, adding  your own spices. I use TJs 21 Season salute, cayenne powder, sea salt and pepper. Once you've browned the meat, pour in the coconut milk and simmer. This adds a bit of thickness and richness to the recipe and will keep your meat from drying out once you bake it.
In a pyrex dish - I have a 13x9 or 15x10 that I use - pour the meat into the dish and spread it around so it evenly covers the bottom of the pan. After that, take your frozen veggies and spread them over the meat, followed by the spinach and spread over the meat and veggies. I warmed my mashed sweet potatoes on the stove so they'd spread nice and even. You can also use mashed squash - like butternut or acorn squash if you're not a sweet potato fan. Spread the sweet potatoes over the spinach and sprinkle w/a little sea salt and pepper if you like. Then, pop it into the oven for 20-30 minutes. When the sweet potatoes look a little darker - more gingery - go ahead and take them out. Depending on your stove it may not take longer than 20 minutes. Plate and enjoy! Yum!

Ginger's yummy Paleo Shepherd's Pie - Mom would be proud!



No comments:

Post a Comment