Thursday, December 4, 2014

Ginger does the Half Marathon and Lives!

That's right friends, I did it! I completed the Seattle Half Marathon!! Woohoo!!
I walked it since my ankle wont let me really run anymore. But we completed it in 4 hours which isn't too shabby for a wonky ankled 40 yr old!
***(if you  haven't read my previous posts where I describe my damaged ankle here's the short version: my ankle was completely shattered and had to be fused back together, my Achilles tendon was ripped in half and I was nearly paralyzed - they're still not sure how I dodged that bullet. I had to have 3 surgeries, 3 pins, 2 screws, 3 casts and 2 splints. I spent months in a wheel chair and on crutches and then years with a cane. I would never regain full range of motion in my ankle, running would take almost 10 yrs before I could do more than a few yards before falling or tripping) ***

I have run/walked in other races - Swamp Romp in Hawaii, Cove to Clover, St. Patrick's day dash and a few others. But nothing this big. I was really nervous that my ankle would give out along the race and I'd end up on a medical cart being whisked away from the race and my goal of a medal. With help and support from my paleo partners in crime I made it! Nilufer and Danny were by my side and we crossed together holding hands. It was truly amazing. We ached all over and I could barely walk on my ankle on Monday but hell, it was worth it. I DID IT!!

I am so happy and proud of myself. I feel really blessed to have people who support me in my goals.
Having partners in our fitness is so key. It's way easier to stick to a plan when someone has your back.

So, if there's something on that bucket list of yours, go after it! You can do it! If I can do this, so can you. We only get one life, there are no dress rehearsals.

And yes, I'm going to be one of those people that puts a 13.1 on my car. I have a badge icon I've been waiting to stick on my car until I completed the race. That bad boy is going on my car this weekend! Rawr!!

13.1 baby!!!

Stay Fierce my Paleo powered friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment