Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Lent is not for wussies...

So, today is the start of Lent. For those of you unfamiliar w/Catholicism, Lent is a time of fasting leading up to Easter and lasts about 6 weeks.  Lent is also a great time to refocus on our fitness while being observant of our faith. I used to joke about giving up hope for lent but in all seriousness, I usually try to find something to give up that I find difficult so that it really matters.This year, I'm giving up the following:
  • Sugar/snacks - I don't eat tons of this but I could do better
  • Cheese - i love cheese, no it's not paleo but I do love it so.
  • No meat 3x a weeks
  • Alcohol - I love wine but it's a great one to give up!
  • I also plan on writing a letter a week to someone I care about - likely my grandmother since she's not on email
Not only do I plan on giving up things, I also plan on ramping up things - namely my workout and the variety of workouts. Getting into a workout rut is easy and can actual demotivate us. By adding variety, we challenge other muscle groups and keep our interest level up. 

While you may look at my list above and think, whoa, what the heck will you eat? Never fear! There are plenty of paleo options for me to choose from. On the 3 days I forgo meat, I'll eat fish or eggs. But one of my favorite things is spaghetti squash. It's high in fiber, filling, easy to make and can be seasoned a variety of ways. Black Truffle oil from Trader Joes is one of my favorites to season it with. There's also great things you can do with cauliflower. I'll try to post my recipes along the way so you can try it for yourself!

Savory Spaghetti Squash:

Preheat over to 400
Microwave whole for 2 minutes
Using a large knife carefully cut in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds
Place the halves into a deep rectangular Pyrex / baking pan 
Use Olive Oil (I like EVOO) and rub all over the inside and then season w/salt, pepper, and any savory spice you like. I really like South African Smoke and 21 Season Salute from Trader Joe's.
Bake for an hour and cool for 10 minutes
Using a fork pull "spaghetti" from the skin until you have removed nearly everything from the inside 
I usually put mine in a large serving bowl and toss it to spread the oil and spices around
Plate and serve! 

Enjoy!

Have a great primal day!




No comments:

Post a Comment