Sunday, June 12, 2011

Observations on Obesity and how one small step can change (save) your life

Today the sun is shining and it's promising to be a lovely day outside. My plan this morning is to workout, make a delicious omelette w/eggs provided by my chickens and some dill and basil from my garden and some mushrooms and cheese from TJs. I know there's a lot of grey area regarding dairy and paleo but I am not at the point where i am willing to give up dairy. I've cut a lot out but not everything. I can't, I just love cheese too much. Everything in moderation, right? We are headed to a BBQ at one of my husband's shipmates houses. Taking my famous salmon mousse which is usually a big hit. This means I will have to buy bread. Ugh. Bread you are the devil. I really must learn to make that paleo "bread" i keep reading about.

Yesterday we had a great time out in Port Orchard. I always enjoy taking the ferry and seeing the Sound. We watched UFC and soaked in the hot tub and we were pretty well spent by then. However, I started watching a show - Extreme Makeover, Weightloss Edition. It was unbelievable. They follow one perosn for a year, provide all the tools necessary for successful weightloss and then reveal their success at the end of the hour. It was amazing. Again proving that if you want to, you CAN lose weight w/diet and exercise and not surgery. I think for some people the surgery is necessary, but for others I really do see it as an easy answer. I've known people that weren't especially huge that somehow got approved for the surgery and I've known people that needed that surgery and couldn't get approved to literally save their lives. Gastric and Lap band surgery has increased in recent years and w/obesity at an all time high the stigma around the surgery is decreasing. but it's still dangerous and doesnt address the underlying problem, food addiction coupled w/unhealthy eating habits. Learning to exercise, eating healthy food and addressing the psychological issues surrounding that person's relationship w/food is key in being successful. I've always eaten pretty healthy because my mother didnt really let us eat fast food or junk food. She made most of our meals and was thoughtful about what she fed us.

It is possible to eat healthy and have delicious food. I wish more people could understand that. It doesnt mean you're eating bean sprouts and tofu. Especially on the paleo plan. Meat, veggies, fruit and nuts can be arranged in such a way that you'll never get bored and you'll actually look forward to your meals instead of dreading eating another frozen, microwavable diet meal.
We are responsible for keeping our bodies healthy and functioning at optimum levels. It's up to us to make that commitment to ourselves and to make good decisions. I know it's hard when you have so many companies marketing heart attacks to you.... Dominos Bread Bowl Pasta, IHOP's stuffed french toast and the one i just find vile and horrifying, the KFC Double Down,...and then we wonder why our country is morbidly obese. Because options like this are many, and healthy options seem to be fewer and fewer. The choice is ours though. We can choose to eat these body destroying, life shortening death traps or we can be cognizant of what's crossing our lips and how that is fuel for our bodies and what impact that food will have on our bodies, what it's purpose is for keeping us lean, clean, fat burning machines. If we think in terms of, will this make me feel sluggish and tired and be difficult for my body to break down or will this make me feel good and give me energy and be easy for my body to break down, really changes the way you make food choices.

I am not perfect but I am trying everyday to live better, to make the best decisions I can for myself and getting my body into a place that is healthier, efficient and clean burning so that I can live a long, healthy life. Paleo is definitely helping me do that. I know a lot of people aren't ready to go paleo, but just a few small adjustments and you can ease yourself into it....you can slowly become the person you always knew you could be.
I highly recommend the Kaizen way. It's how one small step can change your life and you can apply to so many areas of your life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizen

No comments:

Post a Comment